Sunday, July 12, 2009

Name does no help!!

Very few of my Saturdays are meaningful..especially when I make it to our NGO-Enable India (into training n empowering disabled)….Yesterday was a recreation event where we volunteers would have to spend time with the students playing indoor games. Every time I interact with these people whose eyes are closed, mine opens. Yesterday was no different. If you asked me couple of days back, if a visually impaired person can play chess, I would have said a big no. not anymore. I played a game of survival for 2.5 hrs with a guy named Issac and lost in the end. Quite fittingly. The board is made in such a way that each coin has to be removed and planted into a hole. That way they can touch and feel the positions of the coins without displacing them. The white and black coins are distinguished by a small spike on top of white coins. It was just amazing seeing him touch and feel and think his next move. Imagine doing it with 64 squares…phew!!! Hats off to him


I am a below average chess player, touching the board after years. But that surely isn’t the reason for losing yesterday. I would have lost even at my peak for the way he played. My name may sound like the great Vishwanathan Anand but that doesn’t help really…:D

Also it was nice to see scrabble board customized (with Braille embossed coins) for them to use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home